martes, 14 de julio de 2015

History and Art in Utah Fairview Museum

A Sentimental Journey
I not too long ago went on a sentimental journey with my father to Sanpete County in Utah. He wanted to drive to exactly where he was born, raised, married and worked. My husband came along, and we taped my father as he recalled areas, dates and persons who had influenced him by way of his life. Mother passed away a handful of years ago, and my father generally thinks about her and the connection they had.

We started our journey in Orem, exactly where my father now resides. He has lived there due to the fact I was 4 years old, so practically sixty years ago. I will have to have created this trip from Orem to Sanpete County hundreds of instances through my life. But, as I age, I notice distinctive points. The mountains definitely impressed me this time, with their freshly fallen snow. It was a wonderful sunny day with blue sky and moderate temperatures.

We stayed on Utah's Heritage Highway I-89 for the initially half of our trip and returned on I-15. Founded in 1859, nestled at the northern finish of historic, pastoral Sanpete Valley, Fairview is the gateway to Huntington-Eccles Canyons National Scenic byway, I-31. We spent quite a few exciting summers up in the Fairview Canyon with my grandparents.

There is a museum in Fairview, housed in 2 imposing buildings; the one hundred year old stone, former college (exactly where my father attended all of grade college), and the Heritage building and extra modern Horizon Building. This museum is a true treasure. It includes ninety functions by the artist Dr. Avard T. Fairbanks.

Mammoths as soon as roamed Sanpete County, Utah

A Life-size cast replica of a skeleton unearthed in 1988, 18 miles east of Fairview at Huntington Reservoir is a Columbian Mammoth. The discovery of this forerunner of our contemporary elephant, was hidden in the earth for 15,000 years. It has been preserved nicely. There are also hand carved and crafted historical coaches and carriages. American folk artist Lyndon Graham, is 1 of the founders of the museum and produced quite a few of the displays.

The Museum Mission

1. is to preserve pioneer and historical artifacts, histories and cultural collections

two. to offer an outlet for inventive talent

3. to be an educational center and a supply for wonder and vision.

The Museum Objectives are

1. to build a powerful and steady endowment

two. to create and enhance exhibits and cultural exhibitions

3. to increase collections management, and 3) to additional build museum buildings.

Meeting My Relatives

As my father took us via the Fairview Museum of History and Art, there had been several photos on the wall of citizens in the area. He remembered quite a few names, and some of them had been our relatives who came from Scotland, and came to obtain religious freedom and settled a number of of the small towns in Sanpete County. My grandfather used to be the mayor of Fairview. He also helped to build numerous buildings and other structures in the town.

The Museum is open year-round Monday by way of Saturday ten am to six pm. It is situated at 85 North one hundred East, P.O. Box 157 Fairview, Utah 84629. You do not anticipate to see a top quality museum in a little town like Fairview, but here it is for all to take pleasure in.

Travel writer and freelancer artist. For extra go to http://polynesianmaiden.blogspot.com

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario